Skill Level: Beginner/Moderate. Adult Supervision Recommended due to the use of sharp tools and implements.
- Empty Gallon Jugs (2 per project)
- Ideally, these should be identical in construction and made of thin plastic
- Cutting implements
- Heavy-Duty Scissors
- Optional: Hole Punch, Carpet Cutter Knife with Hook-Blade
- Sharpie, Dry Erase, or other marker
- Eye protection
- Choose one of the Jugs to be the Base and one to be the Lid.
- If one jug leaks or is damaged at the bottom, that should be used to make the top, etc.
- Using the marker, make marks to guide your cutting implements
- The top should be bigger than the hole cut in the bottom so that when in place it blocks bugs and odors
- The bottom jug should have an intact handle
- The top should include a bit of the handle, cut so that it grabs the other handle and acts as a latch (see video)
- Try to avoid cutting right angles and leaving dead-end cuts, which can rip.
- Make a rough cut before your final cut, and use your hole-punch to make rounded holes wherever you want a rounded edge (see video)